What to Expect When an Outage Occurs
Severe weather events like thunderstorms, tornadoes or freezing rain can damage electrical infrastructure and cause power outages.
Should a major outage occur, ENWIN reminds customers:
- Our Hydro Operations personnel monitor our distribution system 24/7 and are aware of power outages.
- Our crews will begin restoring power as soon as it is safe to do so.
- Trees and power lines may be down. Take care to avoid downed power lines and anything with which they may be in contact, such as puddles of water and fences.
- Traffic lights may be out or flashing as a result of the outage. Avoid travel if possible. Exercise extreme caution in areas where power lines are down or traffic lights are not functioning.
- Our call centre phone lines may be congested during outages. Please keep lines open for emergency calls (see below).
- Electrical emergencies such as explosions, electrical fires or downed power lines should be reported immediately by calling ENWIN at 519-255-2727.
- Turn off all stoves, ovens and other potentially dangerous appliances powered by electricity, until power has been restored, to protect against fires.
- For outage information, follow ENWIN on Twitter: @ENWINUtilities, or our Outage Map.