ENWIN Warns of Local Water Filter Scam
Windsor ON: ENWIN is advising customers about new water filter sales scam, underway in the Windsor area. Customers should be on the lookout for scammers going door-to-door telling customers they are working on behalf of ENWIN, and asking to test their water.
Customers report that they have allowed the strangers into their homes to complete an on- site “test”, that makes their water turn bright red. They have told ENWIN that the scammers offer this “test” as proof that the water is very unsafe to drink, and indicate that the customer must purchase and install filters, which they can purchase from the door-to-door salesperson.
ENWIN would like to advise customers that these people do not represent the utility in any way. They are using the ENWIN name to gain access to the homes of unsuspecting individuals to sell merchandise that is not necessary for the safety of our local water supply.
Here are some things you should know to be safe:
- ENWIN does not go door to door selling products
- ENWIN will not ask you for personal information at your door
- It is very rare for ENWIN contractors to visit door-to-door
- If a contractor will be in your neighbourhood, ENWIN will make every attempt to notify customers in advance, by phone or in writing, or both
- Local water is tested according to government regulations, and is very safe to drink
If you are concerned about someone knocking at your door:
- Ask for photo ID and get the name of the visitor and the business
- Call ENWIN at 519-255-2727 to verify the identity of the visitor
- Never share personal information about your bills or finances with a stranger
- Remember that you are in charge. Don't give anyone access to your home, unless you know it is safe
- There is often evidence online about companies with suspicious sales practices. If the company gives you a name, take the time to search the name online.
- If you ask a visitor to leave, they must leave right away
- If you feel unsafe, call Windsor Police Services
As ENWIN becomes aware of fraud attempts involving water or electricity, we will post information to our website and on Twitter. Watch for breaking news about fraud attempts www.enwin.com or @ENWINUtilities.
ENWIN Utilities Ltd. is the licensed electricity distribution company serving customers in the City of Windsor, and the licensed operator for the water system and district energy owned by Windsor Utilities Commission.”