Weather Alerts & Safety Information
Weather is a primary cause of power outages. Thunderstorms, tornadoes and freezing rain can lead to fallen branches or downed power lines, resulting in outages.
For current conditions, local forecast and weather alerts for Windsor from Environment Canada, click here.
If you see downed power lines or poles, stay back at least 10 metres or 33 feet. That's about the length of a school bus. Downed wires and electrical fires are emergencies! Stay well back and call ENWIN at 519-255-2727, or call 911.
If the power goes out, customers should remember:
- ENWIN monitors the distribution system and knows where the power is out. Please keep lines open for emergency calls, such as reporting downed lines, poles or electrical and transformer fires.
- Safety is paramount during an outage. People should avoid travel where possible. If you must travel, please avoid downed lines and anything that comes into contact with downed lines such as water and fences. If a power line falls on your car, stay inside! Call 911 and wait for help to arrive.
- ENWIN crews begin restoring power as soon as it safe to do so. Follow ENWIN's Twitter feed, @ENWINUtilities and click here to view the ENWIN Outage Map.
Be prepared with an emergency kit in your home that includes:
- Food that can be stored without refrigeration or cooking
- Enough water to sustain you for three days without power
- A phone in your home that does not require electricity (a standard telephone handset, cellular telephone, radio, or pager)
- Several flashlights with fresh batteries and spare bulbs
- A battery-operated radio, with extra batteries
- Essential medications
• If the power goes off, turn off all electrical appliances until power is restored.