130+ Residents Attend ENWIN’s Pilot Program Launch for Electrically Heated Homes


More than 130 residents of the Little River Acres (LRA) community in Windsor attended an information session on March 30 at the WFCU Center, during which ENWIN Utilities Ltd. (ENWIN) announced the launch of a new pilot program to reduce electricity usage and costs for homes that rely solely on electricity for heating and cooling.

Director of CDM Services, Lawrence Musyj, described ENWIN’s Heat Pump Pilot program as “an outcome of the Little River Acres Community Action plan, completed in May of 2010, which identified heat pumps as an alternative to electric base board heating.”

residents at the information session

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Heat Pump Pilot is a unique program, designed by ENWIN with the financial support of the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO), to test the viability of heat pump technology to reduce reliance on both electric baseboard heaters and window A/C units, as a means to condition air within electricity-reliant homes.

As well as providing consumption and cost reductions for homeowners, the program seeks to determine if air-source heat pumps are a viable option to reduce reliance on both electric baseboard heaters and window A/C units, and to gather insight into application, reliability and customer interaction with the technology. It will be implemented in LRA through Honeywell.

With the financial support of the IESO, ENWIN will be able to subsidize 40% of the cost to purchase and install a ductless heat pump system. The homeowner will be responsible for the remaining 60%. It is estimated that qualified residents could save as much as $960.00 a year in electricity, over a 15-20 year period.

With the funding currently available, the utility expects to be able to help approximately 385 applicants, or 35% of eligible homeowners in LRA, to lower their electricity consumption and therefore their bills. ENWIN will offer the Heat Pump pilot on a first-come-first-serve basis in the LRA community.